WHY SHOULD YOU BUILD YOUR OWN MIDI CONTROLLERS?
Express yourself: Since you are here, I'm sure you love making music, or any type of art expression, right? So, have you ever wondered that you could make not only your music, but, also, the tools you use to make your music? And making them, the way you want it, would allow you to express yourself even more? And isn’t it music, art, all about expression? So, do it yourself, express yourself.
Boost you workflow: If you use your computer to make music I'm sure you have your favorite DAWs, plugins, synths, etc. So, what if you had at the tip of your fingers dedicated controllers to each of your favorite plugins, in their same configuration, same layout? Stop wasting your time having to decide how to map your generic controller, stop wasting your time looking where that filter knob is: make your own controllers that look exactly like your favorite plugins. It will make your workflow a thousand times better!
Save money: Building a MIDI controller is extremely cheap! Just to illustrate: for under US$40.00 you can build a complete launchpad with 16 arcade buttons. This controller in the market would cost you around US$200.00! Instead of buying one, make five! And the way you want it.
It's just the tip of the iceberg: Learning a programming language and electronics is just the tip of the iceberg. With this knowledge you can do so much more than MIDI controllers! You can easily learn other languages, like C++, Java, Python, etc, and you can start adventuring in an infinity of other projects. Go from MIDI controllers to robotics, from art installations to web applications. For sure, this is one of the most valuables skills you can have in the market today!
Now that you know why you should build your own MIDI controllers, let me take you through our course, the Making Music with Arduino, the course that will teach you how you can make your own MIDI controllers and much more! So, let me tell you everything you should know about it: Watch the video bellow!
ABOUT THE COURSE
The "Making Music with Arduino" is a 100% online course where you will learn how to build your own MIDI controllers, easily and inexpensively, using the Arduino platform. You will learn, from scratch, how to use a variety of electronic components and how to make your own codes, in order to make your own MIDI controllers the way you want it and much more!
For whom this course is:
- Artists/musicians who want take a step further in their career, building their own controllers, putting their identity not only in their music (or other art), but also in their musical instruments.
- Artists, studio professionals, etc., who want to save money by building controllers very cheaply.
- Hobbysts in general who want to learn about programming/Arduino in a fun way, while building music related tools.
- 16 modules (about 60 classes in total)
- Access to my codes, templates, and designs
- Access to our closed Facebook. Our Facebook closed group is an extension of our course, there students can help and learn from each other, network, and have access to more external material brought by the instructor.
- Gustavo's personal assistance when you need help with your projects (one-on-one plan)
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN?
- The Arduino programming language (which will serve as the basis to learn any other programming language in the future)
- How use buttons, potentiometers, rotary encoders, a variety of sensors and much more
- How increase the number of inputs and outputs using multiplexers
- How to use MIDI to control the outputs of the Arduino. Use MIDI to control lights, motors, etc.
- How to design and manufacture your enclosures
- How to make the Arduino a true USB-MIDI class compliant device
- Where to buy everything you need
- Build MIDI Controllers the way you want! Good for electronic musicians, DJs, VJs, light artists, studio engineers and multimedia artists!
WHAT THE STUDENTS ARE SAYING
"The course was very important so that I could have the first impressions about programming and electronics. In fact, I bought the course in order to develop my thesis project in the area of MIDI controllers production for DJing, and it was what gave me a solid basis for the development of this project. In it, I was able to understand how the Arduino works, its components and the basis of programming for MIDI. Also, with the technical knowledge I learned in the course, I was able to find elements that were not present in the course for the development of my controllers, the way I wanted it."
- Cainã Guari, Designer/DJ
"The MMwA course, for me, was one of the best I found on the internet until today. I started to look for this alternative because of the need for a MIDI controller, but with the budget I had I could not buy a controller that would fulfill all my needs. So, I went after the DIY community and enrolled in the Making Music with Arduino course (...) in one weekend I literally devoured the course, and in a week I already had my first MIDI controller.
(...) In the course you not only learn how to make a controller, it's not a step-by-step like a cake recipe that if something goes wrong you do not know what to do, you get to understand how a MIDI controller really works, the MIDI protocol, and how the Arduino can be used not only as a study platform but for building quality equipment. All of that with a "simple" language (meaning that anyone can understand, not having to be an engineer). This opens the door to endless possibilities.
- Lucas Bressanin, Electronic Musician
"The MMwA was one of the most well-structured and efficient courses I've seen on the web, every step of the process announced is carefully constructed, step by step. We can quickly put into practice the concepts studied. And Gustavo Silveira certainly knows what he's talking about, he has great didactics, and he's always willing to help everyone's questions."
- Guilherme Barros, Musician
Your Instructor / Seu Professor
Gustavo Silveira is a Brazilian multimedia artist, music technologist, and maker. A DIY freak. Gustavo holds a masters in Music Technology and his work has been featured in many specialized websites, Maker Faires, competitions, etc. In 2018 Gustavo won the Averitt Award in excellence in instruction by the Georgia Southern University and was a finalist at the Guthman New Musical Instrument competition, the biggest competition for new musical instruments in the world!
F.A.Q. / Perguntas Frequentes
30-DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE
Enrolling in the Making Music with Arduino has ZERO RISK, you have a 30-day money back guarantee. Your total satisfaction or your money back, no questions, no bureaucracy!